Fundraising / Charity
Oasis Childcare Centre Limited
27th May 2023
Raising funds for 'Oasis: touching lives'
"International Concert Pianists - Alberto Portugheis & Bobby Chen - A programme of works for four hands by Beethoven, Schubert, Debussy and Rachmaninov - Also featuring Jacob Costard ARCO (Organ Scholar Elect Hereford Cathedral"
Oasis Childcare Centre Limited, Charity Number 1059785"
Saturday 27 May 2023, 7pm
St Andrew’s Church, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 3EJ
Tickets: £15, from Church Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via www.sac.church/events
1) External Webpage of Event (go to 27th May 2023) - www.sac.church/events
2) e-Flyer of Event - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-oasis
3) e-Flyer of Event (PDF) - click here
20th March 2023
Jesuit Missions - a fundraising concert in aid of Jesuit Missions' Turkey and Syria earthquake appeal and Jesuit Refugee Services in Syria
'Join us at Farm Street Church for an evening of music in aid of Jesuit Missions' Turkey and Syria earthquake appeal and Jesuit Refugee Services in Syria. Acclaimed pianist Bobby Chen will play pieces by Chopin, Liszt, Schubert, Schubert-Liszt and Schumann-Liszt. Also featuring Charlotte Thun-Hohenstein, mezzo-soprano.
Guests of honour from the Turkish and Syrian embassies will be present.'
The concert will be followed by a wine reception in the Arrupe Hall.
Tickets costs £50 each.
Monday, 20 March 2023
7:00 pm 8:00 pm
Farmstreet Church, 114 Mount Street, London, England, W1K 3AH, UK
1) 1st External Webpage of Event - www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-fundraising-concert-at-farm-street-church-tickets-570643238287
2) 2nd External Webpage of Event - https://jesuitmissions.org.uk/concert-for-syria-turkey-earthquake
3) 2nd External Webpage of Event - www.farmstreet.org.uk/events/a-fundraising-concert-at-farm-street-church
4) 1st Twitter sharing of Event - https://twitter.com/JesuitMissions/status/1637823370182946817
5) 2nd Twitter sharing of Event - https://twitter.com/farmstchurch/status/1637816154180681730
6) e-Flyer of Event (PDF) & (JPEG) - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-jesuitmissions
7) Newsletter mention (Third Sunday of Lent, 12th March 2023) - www.farmstreet.org.uk/s/Third-Sunday-of-Lent-12th-March-2023.pdf
8) programme of Event (PDF) & (JPEG) - TBC
2022 IPFC (UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition)
23rd-27th November 2022
My piano course 2022 OMWPA offering two (2) First Prizes in the 'Young Artist' and 'Senior' categories, as one of eight (8) sponsors of the 2022 IPFC (UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition), in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
'IPFC 2022 involves the effort of many individuals. We are fortunate to have generous support from our sponsors, extending our sincere gratitude, especially to David Ng, the Managing Director of Graceful Piano for his unwavering support from day one ; Bobby Chen, Founder of the Overseas Masters Winter Piano Academy (OMWPA) (UK), Bentley Music and Claris Music Sdn. Bad. We are also grateful to Mrs. Tan Yean Chin for her generosity in sponsoring the Best Etude Award cash prize.'
1) mention of support by Dr. Christine Tan (paragraph 4 down from top, on page 3) - click here
2) A-4 introduction to my piano course 2022 OMWPA, listed as one of the sponsors (on page 31/32) - click here
3) my piano course 2022 OMWPA listed as one of eight (8) sponsors of 2022 UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition (bottom of page, first line of 4) - click here
4) my piano course 2022 OMWPA offering two (2) First Prizes in the 'Young Artis' and 'Senior' categories, each First Prize would be worth 40% of normal OMWPA Student fee (click 'Prizes & Awards', under 'Young Artist' and 'Senior') - click here
5) mention of support, A-4 introduction to my course 2022 OMWPA as well as 2022 OMWPA being listed as one of eight (8) sponsors of 2022 UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition - www.bobbychen.org/sponsor-2022ipfc
6) Photos of Event - www.bobbychen.org/photos-2022ipfc
7) about my piano course OMWPA - www.bobbychen.org/omwpa
CAFOD (The Catholic Agency for Overseas Development)
13th October 2022
CAFOD - A Piano Recital supporting the East Africa Food Crisis
'BOBBY CHEN is a world-renowned pianist, described by International Piano Magazine as “an armour-clad player of complete technique, a thinking musician, a natural Romantic”. When he’s not touring or teaching, he lends his talent to charitable causes in his parish and beyond.
We’re so grateful to Mr Chen for offering this solo recital in support of the people of East Africa, who are currently battling through the effects of climate change and severe food shortages. We hope you can join us too.'
'Bobby Chen was a pupil of Ruth Nye and Hamish Milne at the Yehudi Menuhin School and the Royal Academy of Music, and burst on the scene in a British tour with Lord Yehudi Menuhin and the arsaw Sinfonia, and a recital at the Royal Festival Hall. He was concerto soloist under Mathias Bamert, Maximiano Valdés, Michał Nesterowicz, Sir Neville Marriner, Giancarlo Guerrero and others, made his Italian solo recital debut at the Fazioli Concert Hall and given four solo recitals at the igmore Hall. He has performed solo recitals in support of the British Jesuit Alumni Charitable Trust, Rainforest Concern, The Federation of International omen's Association and Caritas Ukraine. It is a pleasure for CAFOD to join this list with this recital in support of East Africa.'
NYOKABI KARIŨKI - 'It only ever rains in November' (2016)
BACH-HESS - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, from the cantata Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben, BWV 147
LISZT - Sonetto 104 del Petrarca, S.161 No.5
BACH-BUSONI - Chaconne in d minor BWV1004
SCHUMANN-LISZT - Widmung (Myrthen Op.25)
(-- 5-minute break --)
EMAHOY TSEGUÉ-MARYAM GUÈBROU - 'Mothers' Love' from Éthiopiques, Vol. 21
LISZT - Ballade No. 2 in B minor, S.171
SCHUBERT-LISZT - Ave Maria S.558 No.12
Thursday 13 October 2022
Starting at 19.30 for approximately 1 hour, followed by a drinks reception until 21:30
Location: Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair, 114 Mount Street, London W1K 3AH
1) e-Flyer of Event (JPEG) - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-cafod
2) e-Flyer of Event (PDF) - click here
3) programme of Event (JPEG) - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-cafod
4) programme of Event (PDF) - click here
The Reform Club
28th September 2022
Dedicated to Ukraine
Wednesday 28 September, 12.15 - 1.15 pm | Library
Peter and the Wolf - Prokofiev/Leslie Howard Simon Callow - Narrator
Leslie Howard & Bobby Chen Piano Duet
Pictures from an Exhibition - Mussorgsky Pavel Timofeyevsky - Piano
All proceeds will go to the David Nott Foundation.
Registered Charity Number: 1162537. The David Nott Foundation trains local surgical teams with the specialist skills needed to save more lives in countries affected by conflict. To date they have trained over 1,000 surgeons across the world from Syria to Yemen and Ukraine to Iraq.
We thank the artists for donating their services and an anonymous sponsor.
1) programme of Event (PDF) - click here
2) e-Flyer of Event (PDF) - click here
3) e-Flyer and programme of Event (JPEG) - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-reformclub
FIWAL (The Federations of International Women's Association in London)
7th June 2022
Performing a short afternoon solo recital, in the Platinum Jubilee High Tea, organised by FIWAL (The Federations of International Women's Association in London), at the historic Hall of The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers, London, on Tuesday 7th June, at 2:30pm-5pm.
'FIWAL is delighted to invite you to a Platinum Jubilee High Tea on Tuesday 7th June 2022 at a unique location, the historic Hall of the The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers. With a musical interlude on women composers and poets presented by concert pianist Bobby Chen and a speech by Alderman- Emma Edham.'
Time: 2.30pm - 5.00pm
Location: Ironmongers' Hall, Off Shaftesbury Pl, Aldersgate St, Barbican, London EC2Y 8AA
Dress Code: Red, white and/or blue and hats or crowns encouraged!
Group bookings of 8 - £400, thereafter £50 pp. In order to make a group booking please email us at: email@example.com
Price: Early bird special £52 pp until 9th May, thereafter £55 pp
1) External Webpage of Event - https://platinumjubileehightea.eventbrite.co.uk
2) Photos of Event - www.bobbychen.org/photos-fiwal
3) Video Clip from Event - https://twitter.com/i/status/1536685203493736449
4) Twitter review of Event - https://twitter.com/FIWAL_Women/status/1534735479589027843
5) Poster of Event (1) - https://fiwal.files.wordpress.com/2022/04/fiwal-tea-jpg.png?w=640
6) Poster of Event (2) - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-fiwal
FARM STREET CHURCH (Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair)
26th May 2022
Performing an evening solo recital 'A Concert for Ukraine', organised by Farm Street Church (Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair), at the Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair, on Thursday 26th May, at 7pm.
A charity concert to support the humanitarian effort in Ukraine featuring internationally renowned concert pianist, Bobby Chen.
'Join us for an evening of music provided by concert pianist (and Farm Street parishioner) Bobby Chen. The programme for the evening will include music by Ukrainian composers and all proceeds will go towards supporting the work of Caritas Ukraine.
Guest of Honour: Cardinal Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster
A wine reception will follow the concert in the adjoining Arrupe Hall.
This is a ticketed event and will not be shown via the livestream page on the church website. Tickets are non-refundable.'
Location: Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair, 114 Mount Street, London W1K 3AH
Price: £50 pp to include a wine reception
1) External Webpage of Event - www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-concert-for-ukraine-tickets-330576261497
2) Photos of Event - www.bobbychen.org/photos-fundraising-ukraine
3) Newsletter mention of £2,818 raised (bottom of 3rd page) - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5dbc89b54eede32f3cd35bbe/t/62ac8c47fb7e641e61346ec2/1655475272076/Corpus+Christi%2C+19th+June+2022.pdf
- (Corpus Christi, 19th June 2022) www.farmstreet.org.uk/newsletters
4a) Twitter sharing of Event - www.twitter.com/farmstchurch/status/1522183812377153536
4b) Twitter sharing of Event - www.twitter.com/RCWestminster/status/1526582564747587584
4c) Twitter sharing of Event by the Yehudi Menuhin School - https://twitter.com/menuhinschool/status/1528746066589495301
5a) Facebook sharing of Event - www.facebook.com/404538666344537/posts/2611528562312192/?d=n
5b) Facebook sharing of Event - www.facebook.com/251455061660979/posts/pfbid0vPGpJyipg9EgxZ6aXNyedxSp4Ye8LFChDu1nhsNv8CRWSupUjBS2opn8uN28Rbogl/?d=n
5c) Facebook sharing of Event by the Yehudi Menuhin School - www.facebook.com/974442952670091/posts/pfbid02oNghqQ9E7xhqHZ9qX79Kj9GFritRc7XJjJPJTSMC3SKfQfZZ4gLmyXN3tUjWihPxl/?d=n
6) Poster of Event - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-farmstreetchurch
22nd November 2021
Performing an evening solo recital, in support of Rainforest Concern, at the Travellers Club, London, on Monday 22nd November, at 6:30pm.
'The Trustees of Rainforest Concern request the pleasure of your company for an evening of music by the celebrated pianist Bobby Chen'
6.30pm Monday 22nd November at The Travellers Club (106 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5EP)
- Dress: Lounge suits ; Telephone: 01225 481151 Carriages 11pm
Tickets at £100 to include a three course dinner with wine of which £20 will be a donation to Rainforest Concern'
1) E-flyer and Programme of Event - www.bobbychen.org/fundraising-rainforestconcern
2) Programme of Event (PDF) - click here
3) Photos of Event - www.bobbychen.org/photos-fundraising-rainforestconcern
4) LinkedIn share by the Yehudi Menuhin School - www.linkedin.com/posts/the-yehudi-menuhin-school_biodiversity-classicalmusic-activity-6861987325958877184-mOGL
5) LinkedIn reshare by George Soole of Steinway Pianos London - www.linkedin.com/posts/george-soole-99143132_biodiversity-classicalmusic-activity-6866345086117003264-AQG1
6) LinkedIn reshare by Alix de Mauny - www.linkedin.com/posts/alixdemauny_biodiversity-classicalmusic-activity-6861987836992856064-4hwk
30th June 2020
Recorded for 'The Concordia Foundation Vital Fund' fundraising campaign by Concordia Foundation, which aimed to raise a minimum of £20,000.
1) Listed as Alumnus - www.concordiafoundation.com/alumni
2) Featured in newsletter No.35: 21st anniversary - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/e3/73/d9e373d92cfc31806d23feb6b23b42af.jpg
3) Mentioned as 'International Ambassador' - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54463ba7e4b0da769d414cfc/t/594cf277f7e0ab535a57abbc/1498215049942/Concordia+Newsletter+-+Summer+2017.pdf
4) 'The Concordia Foundation Vital Fund' details YouTube Link - https://youtu.be/hesrgebcqZ8
2020 IPFC (UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition)
1st-5th June 2022
My piano course 2020 OMWPA offering one (1) First Prize in the 'Senior' category, as one of seven (7) sponsors of the 2020 IPFC (UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition), in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
'This event involved the efforts of many individuals. We are fortunate to have generous supports from our sponsors, extending our thanks especially to David Ng, the Managing Director of Graceful Piano for his unwavering support from day one; Dr Murray McLachlan, Founder/Artist Director of the world famous Chetham’s International Summer School and Festival (UK) for pianists; Mark Stringer, Director of Music at Wells Cathedral School (UK); Bobby Chen, Founder of the Overseas Masters Winter Piano Academy (OMWPA) (UK); Yen Chun-Chieh, Founder of the International Maestro Piano Festival (IMPF) (Taiwan); Carolyn Lo, Owner of the Family Piano Home; and last but not least, we are also grateful to our advertisers -- ABRSM, Trinity College London, Aureus Academy, and Nippon Piano.'
1) mention of support by Dr. Christine Tan (paragraph 3 down from top, on page 3) - click here
2) A-4 introduction to my piano course 2020 OMWPA, listed as one of the sponsors (on page 43) - click here
3) my piano course 2022 OMWPA listed as one of seven (7) sponsors of 2020 UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition (bottom of page, first line of 4) - click here
4) my piano course 2020 OMWPA offering one (1) First Prize in the 'Senior' category, each First Prize would be worth 40% of normal OMWPA Student fee (under 'Senior') - click here
5) mention of support, A-4 introduction to my course 2020 OMWPA as well as 2020 OMWPA being listed as one of seven (7) sponsors of 2022 UCSI International Piano Festival and Competition - www.bobbychen.org/sponsor-2020ipfc
6) about my piano course OMWPA - www.bobbychen.org/omwpa
Keyboard Charitable Trust
19th October 2019 & 8th December 2019
Helping to set up two performances for young pianists from the Keyboard Charitable Trust, at The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street -
British Jesuit Alumni/ae Charitable Trust (Eagle Aid)
30th May 2019
Performing an evening solo recital, in the Annual reception and concert in support of Jesuit related charities, organised by the British Jesuit Alumni/ae Charitable Trust (Eagle Aid), at Ognisko Polskie (The Polish Hearth), London, on Thursday 30th May, at 7:30pm (6:45pm reception).
The recital would be in a 'Reception, Canapes and Recital' format, in support of The Langlands School and College, Chitral, north west Pakistan and other BJACT (Eagle Aid) projects. (Tickets would be £75, concessions available on application ; Raffle Prize Draw at 9.00pm ; Dress code: black tie)
1) Review of Event (Ollie Randall) - www.randallwriting.com/more-cartoons/artist-in-residence
2) External Webpage of Event (Stonyhurst College) - https://association.stonyhurst.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/BJA-Concert-300519.pdf
3) Photos of Event - www.bobbychen.org/photos-bjact-eagleaid
4) Cartoon of Performance (Ollie Randall) - www.randallwriting.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/IMG_20190602_190010_526-600x488.jpg
British Malaysian Society (BMS)
31st July 2017 + 3rd October 2017
The British Malaysian Society (BMS) 60th Merdeka Award for Young Composers 2017 on 31st July 2017, with performance at St. Lawrence Jewry next Guildhall, City of London (Guildhall Yard, London EC2V 5AA, UK) on 3rd October 2017.
1) Award Description a - www.facebook.com/thebritishmalaysiansociety1983/posts/923255981172863
2) Award Description b - https://d3hgrlq6yacptf.cloudfront.net/5f5b4e263e4f4/content/pages/documents/1506340447.pdf
3) Award Description c - www.thebritishmalaysiansociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/newsletter-autumn2017.pdf
4) Separate photos- www.bobbychen.org/britishmalaysiansociety
The Jasmine Ball
7th March 2013
The Jasmine Ball - to help fundraise towards UNICEF’S emergency response to the child victims of the crisis in Syria, at One Mayfair.
1) Separate photos - www.bobbychen.org/thejasmineball
Monkton Combe School
25th March 2010 to 1st June 2012
Performed for a fundraising campaign between 2009/10 and 2012, to help raise £3,200,000 towards the building of a new music centre at Monkton Combe School - as invited by Dr. Kerbey OBE.
Dr. Kerbey OBE engaged me to perform six (6) short solo recitals before 1st January 2012, once at Corpus Christi College in Oxford, twice at Pembroke College in Cambridge, once at the Royal College of Music in London, and once at Monkton Combe School, all in support of this very special fundraising campaign.
My involvement in this very special project culminated in my solo recital at Bowerman Hall, which is the dedicated performing space at the new music centre at Monkton Combe School, on 1st June 2012.
1) Mention - https://issuu.com/monktonpublications/docs/monktonmagazine/31
2) Mention - https://issuu.com/mcpublishing/docs/bathmag0712/62
3) Mention - https://issuu.com/monktonpublications/docs/monktonian/24
Photos (Miscellaneous) - www.bobbychen.org/monktoncombeschool
Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (CARIF)
21st June 2012
Performed at Sime Darby Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
'Equatorial Hotel Kuala Lumpur together with The British Malaysian Society, AirAsia and Yamaha organised a charity piano concert featuring Bobby Chen the world renowned Malaysian concert pianist with part of the proceeds going to Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (CARIF). The concert raised RM11,000 to fund cancer research at CARIF .
Bobby Chen himself was moved by the stories of cancer patients and their efforts undergoing treatment. He further added “For this concert, I felt that even after it ended, the audience left affected by the music, as well as enlightened about the emotional effects of cancer. I am just delighted that I could play such a tiny part to help”'
1) Official publication - www.cancerresearch.my/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2012_June_Generic_CARIF-Celebrates-10-Years-of-Innovative-Cancer-Research-in-Malaysia.pdf
2) Separate photos - www.bobbychen.org/carif
EQ & Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (CARIF)
24th March 2012
Performed in the Grand Ballroom of Hotel Equatorial Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
'Back by popular demand, the world-renowned concert pianist Bobby Chen will be performing for one night in the Grand Ballroom of Hotel Equatorial Kuala Lumpur on 24 March 2012 at 7.00pm. This performance is supported by The British Malaysian Society, Air Asia, Samsung and Yamaha Malaysia. Part of the proceeds from this event will be channeled for charity to CARIF (Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation). The proceeds will be used in aid for recruiting, retaining and training the nation's most talented and highly-skilled scientists in CARIF's mission to fight against cancer.
Ticket is priced at RM500 nett per person inclusive of five course dinner. For reservations, please call our F&B Department at 03-21617777 ext 8219/8203.'
1) Photos of event
Malaysian British Society (MBS)
12th June 2010
The British Malaysia Society in association with Lord’s Taverners (Malaysia) was proud to arrange a series of recitals by Bobby Chen in Malaysia, June 2010, in aid of charity.
'Although he has played here on various occasions, we believe that his talent is not given the recognition it richly deserves. It is hoped that, through these occasions, Bobby will strengthen his links with his Malaysian roots and achieve his dream of establishing his own Music Academy, with the support of his alma mater, the Yehudi Menuhin School in the United Kingdom, to nurture young Malaysian musical talents and to share his experience, knowledge and skills with young Malaysian music prodigies.'
1) Mention of Event - www.thembs.my/project/bobby-chen-recital
2) Review of Event - www.proudduck.com/2010/06/bobby-chen
Opera Holland Park - 24th April 2020
Recorded the music for 'Pirates to Penzance Presentation' (#PiratesToPenzance), for Opera Holland Park, acknowledgement in credits at end of video - initiated and organised by Michael Larsen, who is Junior Warden at The Worshipful Company of World Traders.
1) YouTube link (unlisted) - https://youtu.be/ZvY5hFmhqs0